Haselor Church

Haselor Church before Church Clock

 

Haselor Church with Clock

 

   
   

 

Haselor Church porch after the Great War 1918

East window

   
   

Before oil lamps

 
   

Part of an article in the Alcester Chronicle 20th June 1868.

 

HASELOR.

 

OPENING OF THE CHURCH ORGAN

 

              This usually quiet village, presented on Sunday last, quite and unwonted appearance, in consequence of a large number of strangers who attended the parish church, at both morning and evening service on that day―the occasion which called them there being the opening of the new organ, of which the church has, we believe, hitherto been destitute. Haselor is situated near the river Alne, about 2½ miles north-east of Alcester, but as it lies some distance to the left of the turnpike road between Alcester and Stratford-on-Avon it is comparatively unknown to the travelling public. The church of Haselor is pleasantly situated upon a hill, and is partially embosomed with trees, and country around is agreeably diversified with hill and dale. The church is an ancient structure, with nave, chancel, side aisles and square embattled tower, containing 2 bells, surmounted with pinnacles, and was, together with the churchyard, founded by one of our Norman Kings (though which is uncertain), to the honour of Christ, the Blessed Virgin, St. Lawrence, and All Saints, and was originally endowed with a house for the Parson and two Yard Land lying in the fields of Haselore and Walcote; as also certain pasture grounds to the same belonging, with a certain Place and Croft lying opposite thereto. This grant was afterwards in the reign of Henry II augmented with an ample addition. The “The house for the Parson” has, from time immemorial, ceased to exist, but there is now a prospect that a vicarage house will shortly be erected. In the early part of 1867 the living of Haselor became vacant by the decease of the Rev. Cornelius Griffin, who had been vicar for 20 years: and on the 12th of April following, Rev. J. H. Sykes, rector of the adjoining parish of Billesley, was instituted to the vicarage of Haselor; and in a short period of fourteen months he has succeeded in obtaining subscriptions to the amount of £1981  2s.  9d. towards the erection of a vicarage house, including the site of the same.

 

 
In the above article it says,

"and was originally endowed with a house for the Parson and two Yard Land lying in the fields of Haselore and Walcote; as also certain pasture grounds to the same belonging, with a certain Place and Croft lying opposite thereto"

This house is now known as "Little Manor".